Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stress in layered composites
Brian,
Thank you for the recommendation about the book and the CMH-17 handbook.

So, I came up with this simpler case: a built-in tube with two local loads applied on the opposite end (     ).

Tube dimensions:
Length = 1000 mm
Diameter = 100 mm

Loads:
F1 = F2 = [50, 0, 0] Newton

The structural configuration is 6 layers of woven carbon fiber placed 45º with the longitudinal direction of the tube (y direction).

The results for the stress in direction 1, from the “Stresses in layered composite elements for element type TRIA3” table from F06 output, shows an abrupt change, from positive to negative (from red to blue), at some adjacent triangles (     ), the scale from -10 to 10 is to emphasize the change. This tends to happen at the upper and lower parts of the tube in all layers.
This I can't really understand and I would appreciate your help to get it. From my perspective, this abrupt change shouldn't happen. The results when the fibers are placed at 0º or 90º with the longitudinal direction of the tube make sense for stress in directions 1, 2 and 12. I tried to refine the mesh but these changes kept appearing.

Is this related to the type of the element (CTRIA3) or something else is missing me? If it is element related, any advice on how to handle it?

All the files for the run can be found in this google drive folder (again, too big to add here) (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing). If you use Paraview or any other vtk reader I also placed in the folder the vtk file containing the graphics for the solution.

Once more, I really appreciate your time and thank you for the help.

Regards,

Filipe Silva

More pictures:
Layer 1 - Stress Normal 1(regular scale):    
Layer 1 - Stress Normal 2 (regular scale):    
Layer 1 - Stress Shear 12 (regular scale):    

Messages In This Thread
Stress in layered composites - by fmjs - 11-26-2021, 04:36 PM
RE: Stress in layered composites - by Admin - 11-27-2021, 08:11 PM
RE: Stress in layered composites - by fmjs - 11-30-2021, 06:32 PM
RE: Stress in layered composites - by Admin - 12-03-2021, 06:55 PM